Milling with a drill press

Discuss assembling your own rifle or building it from scratch with our 80% Lower Receivers.
ctrmass
Anti-spam measures: Yes

Re: Milling with a drill press

Post by ctrmass » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:17 am

I did one on a cheap horrible freight drill press.
Yea, it looks terrible on the inside, but it functions 100%. :lol:
Just dont open it up at the range. People will say WHAT THE %$&* HAPPENED TO THAT RECEIVER!!! :mrgreen:

txgunslinger77

Post by txgunslinger77 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:06 am

My first attempt at this has been horrible, and if you have the money, DO NOT do this on a drill press. The table on my press flexes enough so that I have snapped off no less then 4 1/8" bits inside the FCG area. Do you know what happens when a $20 4 flute carbide endmill hits HSS? It goes to shit in a hurry and makes milling out your FCG a week long affair as you try to navigate around the bits, trying to take away as much material as close as possible to try and get the pieces out. What a nightmare. Here's another piece of advice - go slow. And when you think you're going slow enough, go slower. And don't break off any bits.

Now back to milling out the pocket...

jinjyr

Post by jinjyr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:35 pm

I stated in another post that I did one with the TM drilling jig and a Harbour Freight drill press. Since then I completed a second and mated them to DPMS uppers. I wont tell you that the inside looks like it was done on a CNC machine,they don't, but they are cut to spec and work great. Go slow, clean out the shavings often, Keep measuring when you get around required depth,DONT RIDE THE EDGES!!!! When I got deep enough I drilled trigger cut and kept going down. Drilling the trigger opening helped me keep an eye out for going too deep (there are a few posts by people who drilled out the bottom).I drilled the pin and safety holes after I cut the FCG pocket.
I used a 3/8 end mill and walked the jig back and forth. Be careful about the Chanel for the spring and detent for the safety lever, I can see that its easy to cut into and possibly wreck it if working by hand. I was gonna use a cross slide vise but the set up wasn't working well. Again...watch the edges and you should not have any problems. Good Luck!! Just saw how old the original post was, well anyway..thats my experience with a drill press.